Got constipation, bloating, diarrhea, gas, IBS, heartburn, food sensitivities, skin issues, brain fog, or autoimmune problems? That’s likely your gut telling you that something is seriously out of whack. Don’t blame Mom and Dad–it’s probably not about being dealt a bad genetic hand, but more likely, what we in the integrative health world refer to as “leaky gut.”
Unfortunately, there are a lot of ways to undermine the integrity of the gut lining. Not eating enough fiber, which starves the good bacteria responsible for repairing and maintaining the gut wall lining. Eating too much sugar, which feeds bad bacteria growth. Overdoing it on foods loaded with gluten, the protein found in many grains, which can be a real gut-basher for people with allergies (e.g. celiac disease) or those who are sensitive to it.
Know The Leaky Gut Triggers
- Over-the-counter (OCT) nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), like Advil, Aleve, Motrin, etc.
- OTC products for acid reflux, like Maalox, Mylanta, Rolaids, etc.
- Prescription meds (proton pump inhibitors, or PPIs) for acid reflux/GERD, like Nexium, Prilosec, etc.
- Antibiotic use (take them as rarely as possible or as a last resort—not when you have the sniffles!)
- Habitual alcohol use or overuse
- Food sensitivities to things like gluten and dairy
- Low-fiber and/or diets high in processed foods
- Low-grade gut infections, like yeast, bacteria, and parasites
- Chronic stress
Any or all of these cause damage to the lining of the gut, letting undigested food particles and bits of bacteria into the bloodstream, setting off an inflammatory response throughout the body.
These inflammatory molecules, called cytokines, run amok throughout the system, setting off a variety of responses that may include everything from skin disorders, digestive problems, and migraines to fatigue, anxiety, and mood swings.
STOP THE LEAKS; STOP THE SYMPTOMS
Contact us for a consultation on how to improve your digestion.