In my practice, the foundation of any successful naturopathic intervention is to support healthy functioning of the digestive tract and facilitate the body’s elimination of toxins. This also applies to Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy in that poor nutrition, digestive disturbance, toxin accumulation, and sub-optimal liver function greatly impact the efficacy of the treatment.
In order for the body to absorb the vital nutrients necessary for healing and to fuel optimal metabolic function, I address the following factors with respect to supporting digestive health:
- Encouraging healthy and balanced food choices
- Supporting proper digestion and absorption of nutrients and maintaining balanced blood sugar levels
- Identifying and eliminating food intolerances that cause inflammation, digestive disturbance, fatigue, and contribute to numerous health concerns
- Treating dysbiosis (overgrowth of “bad” bacteria and yeast in the digestive tract)
- Supporting regular bowel movements to ensure elimination of metabolic by-products and toxins
Equally as important to optimizing digestive function is to support the body’s detoxification pathways, primarily the liver, kidneys, and lymphatic system.
Although general detoxification strategies are paramount in supporting healthy hormone balance, it is sometimes necessary to identify and treat the accumulation of specific toxins, such as environmental chemicals and heavy metals.
We are exposed to an unprecedented number of environmental chemicals that can build up in our bodies and disrupt normal cellular activity. Many of these chemicals, such as pesticides and certain plastics, disrupt the function of our hormone systems and contribute to conditions such as estrogen dominance. Furthermore, toxic metals, such as mercury and lead, can also accumulate in the body and cause inflammation, nervous system disruption, immune dysfunction, and thyroid dysfunction.”